THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rash decision that hopefully won't backfire.

I'm not an impulsive person. From time to time, however, I make some ridiculous decision without thinking it through. Actually, there's proof of that right here. Yesterday was one of those times when I made a decision without any thinking and I panicked for a while afterwards. I made a rather costly purchase (for my budget, anyway). I bought Phatty and myself a "Spa Package" that includes things like a massage, a facial, a manicure, etc. How did I come to make such a decision? Well... it all started yesterday after lunch while I was at work.
I was sitting there minding my own business, pretending like I was accomplishing some arduous task (while really watching YouTube videos or something equally important) when a dazzling set of freakishly straight and abnormally white teeth walked in through the door.


Julia, squinting: Well hello there outrageously perfect teeth, what can I do for you today?
Teeth: Hello, I'm from Fancy Pants Salon and we have a promotion we are offering to those in the medical field.

Julia, thinking this only applies to the docs/assistants, anyway: Well... this is a dental office, does that count? *hoping he says no so I can shoo him away*
Teeth: Oh yes, that includes you guys! We have a package deal for all of our services for 80% off. That includes massage, facial, foils, manicure, blablabla... all for $42
Julia, blinking away the tears induced by the brightness of his teeth: Err... I don't really need any of that stuff. I do my own nails and I have a fantastic stylist. I know it doesn't translate because I look like this (pointing at myself and my scraggly hair) but she's really great.
Teeth: Well you could always get it as a gift for someone.

Oh you. coy. bastard. You'd love that, wouldn't you?

Julia: Actually, my sister's birthday is next month and she might actually love this. She's a mom of three who works full time and doesn't have time to wipe her butt.*

*Ok, she wipes her butt, but her skin is practically peeling off because she's not even making time to put lotion on. I told her to keep the lotion by the toilet so she can apply it while she poops but she forgets :/ She's that busy.

Julia (cont'd): Can I get back to you?
Teeth: Well, I only have 5 more coupons on me so it's sort of "now or never" It's a great deal, *rattles off the content again* it's a $400 value which right now you'd get for $42.
Julia, hesitant, but slowly falling for the trap: Hmmm... I don't know... Well, what if I got two? Is there a possibility for us both to go together and have a girly day?
Teeth,devilishly: Oh yes, that'd be perfect. Just call and make the appointments and you can go and have whatever you guys want done.
Julia, seriously considering making an impulsive purchase: ... Hmmm

By then I had the coupon in my hand and I was finally able to look past the teeth and notice that he's was actually a guy, not just a floating set of veneers. He had great skin and well groomed hair. He's a great spokesperson but I'd probably recommend he doesn't smile so much. Seriously, I think his teeth damaged my corneas.
Unless that's part of the plan...? Maybe he dazzles unsuspecting customers with his unnaturally white teeth and before you know it you've purchased 2 spa days for you and your sister and you don't even know what hit you? OH SHIZZ! What's this? OH NO! I did buy two spa days for my sister and me! How did that happen? You sneaky, smooth-skinned, crisp-shirted, perfectly groomed persuader... you're sick!

At any rate. There was no turning back but having reverted to my usual non-impulsive self I was now panicking. "What did I just do!?!" Seeking validation for my lack of thinking, I informed some online friends (yeah, I have online friends, wanna do something about it?) about my purchase. Everyone seemed to think it was a great deal, great present, great purchase, etc. Then a couple mentioned that there would probably be some sort of aggressive sales pitch when I got there and to be prepared. That's not as exciting and then someone said the inevitable:
"What if the guy isn't even from the salon?"
...
*tires squealing*HOoooooooOOooooolllldddd the phone. WHAT? *Julia craps her pants* "I didn't even think of that" *Surge of adrenaline as I panic* "What if I just wasted $84 on a scam!?!??"
Aw crap. At any rate, I swallowed the lump in my throat and called the salon.

Girl: Fancy Pants Salon, how may I help you?
Julia, nearly in tears and shaking: Hi, I just had a guy walk in claiming to be from Fancy Pants Salon offering a deal for your services...
Girl: *sighs* yes... about that...
Julia, freaking the hell out because I think the girl's about to tell me it's a scam: I was wondering if it's for real?
Girl: Yes, it IS real. It's a legitimate offer. We've had several calls about it.
Julia, getting dizzy from the huge sigh of relief: Oh good, because I just purchased two of those packets so I'm glad I didn't waste my money.


At any rate, apparently one should check on those things before making rash decisions. Obviously plenty of others are more cautions than me. Curse me and my trusting nature!
I'm glad I didn't waste my money, but hopefully I'll think twice next time I give some dashing set of teeth a large lump of money.

0 comments: