THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The ñoqui endeavour

It's Sunday afternoon and I have nothing to do. There's 5 lbs of potatoes sitting on my counter waiting to be turned into ñoquis. I know this will take forever. It's 3 o'clock so I figure if I start now I'll be done by 10. I guess I'll do it. I really wanted to relax and lay around in my pajamas while I finished my book but I guess I can always do that next Sunday.
I peal and cut the potatoes (all 5 lbs) and throw them in the pot. Oh shoot... that's definitely not enough flour. I call mom to see if she has any. Now I have to walk over there to pick it up. I set the stove on low heat so they don't blow up while I'm gone. 40 min later I come back and turn the heat back up. Of course now I realize I could have turned it up a bit higher when I left as it does take a WHILE for the potatoes to cook. Damn.
6 o'clock and the potatoes are finally ready. I drain them, mash them, and get started. This being my second time I know to be more liberal when dumping the flour in the dough. I actually have it ready in about an hour with no problem. It will always need more flour so I rather add it as I roll it out. It's about 7:30 PM now and that is A LOT of dough. I haven't even eaten dinner yet. I get started- I'll stop around 8 to make dinner. I finally get to MAKE my dinner around 8:30 ish... I eat -oh and I shower because I don't want to go to bed with wet hair- and then I get back to it. I roll the dough, cut the ñoqui and mark each one- I'm actually getting to be really good at it. Mind you, these have to be frozen in individual trays otherwise they just freeze as one big ball of mush. I hardly have enough room in my freezer especially once the bag I'm putting them in starts to fill up: Fitting a long skinny cookie tray is certainly not the same as stuffing a gallon-sized Ziploc bag full of ñoquis in the freezer. I am at this point doing some pretty severe acrobatic combinations of open-shove-move-closethedoorreallyfastsonothingfallsout! At one point the door opened from the pressure and I found my kitchen floor littered with ñoquis. It's ok- no one saw. They go back in the bag and back in the freeze. Hey! They are frozen- it's not like anything stuck to them!
It's 11 o'clock and I'm only 2/3 of the way. Forget this, I'm tired and I want to go to sleep! I shove the dough in a Tupperware container and hope it makes it through the night in the refrigerator.
I spray the counter with cleaner and let it sit so that it softens all the pieces of dough that are stuck to it. I scrub the counter and wash the dishes and my hands. I lazily sweep the floor and vacuum the surrounding areas that are covered in flour.
Next time I'm doing 2 potatoes at a time- I swear!

0 comments: