THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 23, 2009

Why couldn't I get the awesome organization skills instead?

Last week I mentioned my awesome new sheets. What I failed to mention is that since I changed sheets I've been crazy itchy, particularly on my legs. I don't know what the deal is because the sheets are just cotton sheets and well... all my clothes are made of cotton, aren't they? So I've been thinking of all the different factors: weather (dryness + wind + cold= dry skin), I'm not wearing shorts as frequently because of the cold so maybe friction?, oh and I changed laundry detergent... or I thought I did.
Here comes a confession of my embarrassing idiocy:
I do laundry once a week. Living alone means it takes me 6 months or even longer to go through a whole bottle of laundry soap. I was getting low but I had another bottle up on my shelf (I tend to have extras of everything so I never run out in the middle of whatever I'm doing). I finished the one bottle and grabbed the new one. It was a smaller bottle which I thought was odd since I always buy the biggest one I can get. I noticed it had a "green," as in Eco-friendly, sticker so I figured it must have been the only size bottle they had. I did my laundry and saw the detergent was way runnier than the usual. I didn't think more of it until I talked to my mom.
In discussing "green" products she mentioned she had bought a new dish soap that was environmentally friendly but that she didn't like it. She said it had a weird consistency and she had to use way more than with the regular stuff. She asked me about my new detergent since she'd like to use a "green" laundry soap as well. I mentioned my qualms regarding my new detergent and she asked the brand. "Shout." "Like the stain remover?" "Yeah but it's laundry soap so I guess now they also make that."
The next day I got to thinking about it so I examined the bottle. The first word that jumped at me was "refill." Hmmm... How can I have laundry soap REFILL? Shout... stain remover... refill... for the squirt bottle... DING DING DING! I washed my clothes with stain remover not detergent... which probably left a residue on my fabrics. Swell.
This just goes to show how long it takes me to go through these items that I don't even know what I have on my shelves anymore. Regardless, I felt like an idiot.
I called my mom to tell her findings and she laughed an understanding laugh. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." "What?" :S It turns out after I left her house the day before she decided to check the label of the dish soap. In close inspection she found that she hadn't been using dish soap but dishWASHER soap. Doy!
Seriously, no joke. This was some sitcom business. Mother and daughter. I told her she had been greedy with the good genes and traits. She shared all of her neurotic/clumsy/insomniac/clueless ones but kept the useful ones. Damn her.
At least I didn't feel as alone in my idiocy.
I rewashed my sheets btw.

0 comments: